Sunday 19 June 2011

Stage & the City: The secret diary of a blue book stagiaire I

Arriving in Brussels

So here I am. Standing in front of this big glass building called the Berlaymont that I had previously only seen in pictures. One year ago I would never have imagined that I would be here in Brussels today for a five month internship at the European Commission... 


Last year I had everything I could wish for: I had just graduated from university, got my first temporary job at a famous accounting firm in a European capital, a decent apartment and perfect boyfriend. Or that’s what I thought at least. I found out that my perfect boyfriend was not so perfect after all; he was seeing someone else on the side for more than three months. My heart was crushed, stamped on, shredded and bleeding. After confessing he kicked me out (it was his apartment) and I had to move back in with my parents since it’s really difficult to get a nice apartment that does not cost a fortune.

 All of this affected me of course. I lost interest in my life - my heart would not go on as Celine Dion sings in Titanic. Being unfocused at work it didn’t take long before my boss stood in the doorway one day and asked me to leave. My life had become a pile of rubble and dirt that nobody would even want to glance at in passing. Before resorting to something as drastic as suicide I decided that I had to get away from it all, by any means possible.

One night when I was sitting in my bed and couldn’t sleep I remembered that an old friend had told me about the internship he did three years ago in Brussels. Just wanting to get away from everything and everyone I sent off my application. After months of living in a bubble I finally got word - I had been accepted! I was ready to start a new chapter in my life in the capital of Europe.


To be continued...






No comments:

Post a Comment