Monday 18 July 2011

Stage & the City: The secret diary of a blue book stagiaire IV

Yoga one on one

To focus on something other than my boss and my misfortune here in Brussels I started intensively exercising. Every other day I was running in the Parc du Cinquantenaire. A friend of mine had told me that she goes for yoga every week and I decided to go on a Thursday before Place Lux. Perhaps this could give me some other kind of focus than running.


And yes, I did focus on something else. This time it was the yoga instructor.

He welcomed me with a big smile, but when I said I was a stagiaire he said: “Didn’t you get the email about classes being cancelled this week? I’m just about to start repainting the studio.”

“Oh, no I didn’t. I’m not on any email list” I replied feeling a bit stupid just being there by myself.

“Well. You are here now and I can actually start painting a bit later so if you want you can have a private yoga class with me" he said smiling at me. "Have you ever done yoga before?”

“No, never” I replied, still feeling embarrassed.

“Well, then I will help you as we go along with the different positions.”

We entered the studio. He put on some chanting music and lit some incense sticks that filled the room with an oriental atmosphere. I got totally relaxed, even though my day at work had been stressful. At this moment I just wanted to let go of all thoughts of my job, be present and get in touch with my own body, and perhaps even his body. He first showed me how to do the sun greetings, which apparently are the warm ups of yoga. He wanted me to keep my back straight when bending over reaching the floor, so he stood beside me and held a hand on my back to remind me at the same time as he told me to relax my shoulders. I had never thought that there would be so many things to think about doing yoga. But the instructor was very calm and guided me with his smooth voice. After a while I got really relaxed and focused on my movements and the sound of his voice. Since he had me changing between the different positions quite fast I got a bit sweaty, and my breath a bit heavy. But having him next to me to correct me when I made mistakes made the whole thing pleasant.

He corrected the positions of my hips when I had to open up to the wall in front of me, and he lifted my arm so it pointed away from my stretched foot. Each time standing very close behind me, I could almost feel his body against mine when I closed my eyes. Every touch by his hands was soft and easy, and ended with a smile and a compliment on how well things were going and how flexible I was. Despite my flexibility the class had to end with a bit of stretching. Standing with my feet hip width apart I bent over to stretch the back of my legs.
           
“I know you can do better than that” he said while standing behind me and pushing my lower back a bit more.

My hands were touching the floor more than they had before and even though the stretch did hurt a bit I didn’t want to disappoint him or to have him step away from me, so I just bit my lip and kept quiet.

“Now, put your hands to the sides and come up slowly with a straight back. Do not forget to pull in your stomach and to breathe” he said while he kept one hand on my back and put the other on my stomach as I slowly came into a standing position.

“Good. Now it’s time for some relaxation so close your eyes and feel each body part becoming more and more relaxed.”


His soft fingers slowly and gently caressed my left arm while keeping his right hand on my stomach. He shifted his arms and moved to my left side and I could hear his whispering voice in my left ear as he caressed my right arm. My breathing became more and more heavy, and my body got more and more relaxed but at the same time very conscious of his body, voice and touch. He pulled me back towards him and our bodies completely touched. Our breaths synced and became as one. His fingers then moved to my neck and he started to massage me very softly before moving up to play with my hair. As he whispered in my ear all the things he wanted to do with me his hands and fingers were exploring and touching my whole body. He softly pulled my hair and my head back on his shoulder and than leaned over my shoulder and kissed me. I had kept my eyes closed and I begged God not to make this moment end. I could feel his perfectly toned body pressed against mine and all I wanted was to see and feel the rest of him.

Ring, ring!

That was the doorbell. We suddenly stopped and he walked away from my shivering body. I put on a sweater and was going to sneak out as the other person arrived, obviously someone who would help him paint by the look of the clothes he was wearing. As I walked out the door he looked at me with a charming smile, winked with one eye and said “see you at class next week.”

I’m not sure if what happened was for real or if I was in some kind of relaxing trance. And even though my first yoga experience was amazing I never went back.
     
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment