Friday 6 May 2011

Taking a break from the 21st century

Moving to Belgium one would expect to be moving into civilization, not out of it. Little did I know how medieval my experience here would be...

In the past two months I haven't used any of these seemingly common features of the 21st century even once:
  • NO car – I have forgotten what it smells like, but it's cool to have everything nearby
  • NO oven – the charms of renting
  • NO microwave – see above
  • NO popcorn
  • NO McDonald's – or any other junk food chains. One bonus point for me here
  • NO mobile internet – 42 cents for 5 minutes of browsing? No thanks
  • NO GPS – mine uses my mobile internet connection… see above
  • NO cash – this is actually an advantage - it's cool to pay for everything with plastic.
  • NO TV – okay, this is not much of a change as I don't watch TV anyway
  • NO radio – hmm
  • NO newspapers – since I don't speak any of the languages here
  • NO DVD/CD – my netbook simply doesn't have the means to play them…
  • NO plastic shopping bags! - 50 cent per bag really teaches you how to think green ;)
  • NO rubbish bins – I find leaving your trash out on the street for someone to collect a bit of a weird practice, but it seems to be working, so who am I to judge?
  • NO umbrella – of course I brought one, but it's been so sunny! They say it's about to change though… what a shame!
  • NO common sense* :)
*It's hard not to think of Belgium as Alice's Wonderland… there seem to be Mad Hatters on every corner and every time I try to speak to someone at the bank they have a Cheshire Cat's grin. And I'm sure I saw a rabbit hole in the park the other day, but it might just have been the entrance to the metro.

But they make wonderful chocolate :) And waffles!

Martina Marinova,
DG COMM

2 comments:

  1. and beer!:)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the above article one takes the very gloomy impression (indeed!) that you equalise civilisation with eating popcorn?!, cheap fast food?! (but by the way you might try to go back to your type of civilisation in Quick, the Belgium fast food chain), using umbrella and reading newspapers in any other language but the super uncivilised french, dutch, english (indeed)...I would say BRAVO and no thanks to this type of civilisation :)

    ReplyDelete