Wednesday 13 July 2011

A fairytale Euroball: fancy dresses, delicious dinner and a great time!



On the day of the Euroball, you could either hear people getting overly excited (“I have the perfect dress!” or "Wait 'til you see my shoes!") or complaining about their work, the tiring week and their lack of motivation (and a 10am fire alarm in the Berlaymont didn't help!).

The nice 2pm cocktail lifted spirits somewhat as champagne started flowing and people realised how nice it would be to all meet up together. The Farewell Conference prepared those who did not have to work, as speeches followed presentations, and the Stage Committee showed photos to remind us of the stage. The Theatre Subcommittee put on an improvisation show (and a good one too!) and trophies were distributed (congratulations to the soccer players!). By the end of the Farewell Conference we were all ready to have a great evening. On the night of the Euroball, everyone had someone to see, a photo they needed to take, a song they loved, an activity they had to try, a drink they had to have! Cocktails started the evening as people arrived, wowed by beautiful dresses and men in tuxedos. Dinner consisted of three lovely courses, complemented by champagne and wine and accompanied by a delightful jazz band, punctuated by photos and the sound of tables cheering loudly (especially the Bertie Ahern!).

In the following days, the Euroball was on everyone's lips, from “I slept all Saturday!” to “So, I lost you at one point!” And everyone agreed that they had a great time! "I'm still tired," admitted Inez on Sunday morning, "but it was a great party!" Ariana said that the best part was the dinner: “If I had missed it I may not have enjoyed it so much!” Indeed, it was a great time to be with your friends (and/or new people!) and share a delicious meal.


“The Euroball was the best part of the stage!” added Lenka. "It was great and very well organised. My favourite moment was the dancing”. “But what was great,” replied Michel, “is that you didn't have to dance; you could go outside and talk with people”. The venue allowed for many evenings to go on at once, as the dancers rocked the dance floor; the smokers could take over the terrace; the tired rested their feet in the lounge tent; the smokers tried hookah in the shisha tent; and the lovebirds took a walk in the garden. “I liked the venue a lot because I could meet people I knew and hadn’t seen for a while. The location was good. It was good to be able to go there by tram,” added Michel. “The bus schedule wasn't very well kept though and it was a mess to come back!”

And as for the activities? “The cover band was really good; the singers were good and had colour in their voices” said Lenka. “I am not so sure about the cover band, but the music was indeed a great moment,” I added. “I also loved the performances!” Annalisa, who performed with the Salsa group, was also pleased: “I liked that we performed - it was a great motivation to practise; when you have a goal you feel much more motivated to go to class! It was a good excuse to form a real group. Maybe the dancing was not so precise but I hope we communicated how much fun we had!” And they certainly did! “The place was awesome and the activities were the best part!” Annalisa added. “I had my hair done by Toni&Guy. I had to queue for almost an hour and it was a shame because I could hear people dancing and I had to wait! But it was worth it! They did a great job.”

“It was a great atmosphere and it was amazing that so many people came!” concluded Radoslav. “It was great to meet everybody at the same time. It was good to do it now because everyone was there. The palace was perfect, like a fairytale!”

“It will be one of the best memories of the stage!” everyone else agreed.

Lucile Chneiweiss,
SEC GEN

No comments:

Post a Comment