Tuesday 12 July 2011

Stage & the City: The secret diary of a blue book stagiaire III

Mission possible

I know most stagiaires don’t get to go on missions, so I guess I should consider myself lucky to have been sent on a mission. But to be honest I wasn’t that eager to go because my boss is quite arrogant and Iceland is such an isolated place.


The meeting with stakeholders did not turn out the way I was expecting and I was very disappointed. The one good thing was the hotel, which was nice. After returning to my room after a boring dinner with boring stakeholders I got a bit lonely and started thinking about my ex-boyfriend and the happy times we shared when we were in love. I wished he was there with me, comforting me. But reality struck and instead of going to bed I decided to go to the nice hotel bar, which I had noticed when I arrived, to get rid of all those crazy thoughts...

I was still wearing my tight, very short, deep cut red dress, which might have been a bit inappropriate for a dinner with stakeholders; I put my stilettos back on and went downstairs. I was hoping to meet someone interesting, an important, sexy man – a man of the world. But the bar was empty. I decided to have a drink anyway and ordered a Cosmopolitan. Finishing the second drink I decided it was time to go to bed. I asked the bartender for the bill when I suddenly heard a voice from behind saying "It’s on me”.

I could sense the person standing behind me, and also smell his musky, male scent. And I jumped a bit as I realised it was my boss who had sneaked up behind me. What an unpleasant surprise! Without asking for permission he grabbed a stool and took a seat next to me. How rude!

"Another drink for mademoiselle and I’ll have an Islay single malt, a Laphroaig”, he said to the bartender.

“Actually, I was about to go to bed” I said and hoped that I could leave.

“Oh, don’t be ridiculous. It’s only ten to ten; stay here for just another drink. Please. We have to clarify something.”

The tone of his voice and the friendly look in his eyes made me stay.

“I have never told you but I should have; you are doing a very good job at our unit. To be honest you are the best stagiaire we have ever had. Everyone enjoys having you in the office and we would really like to have you for a longer time in our unit. I didn’t want to tell you before, but if it’s cleared by HR we have future plans for you.”

A warm feeling rushed through my body. What a relief. I had been worrying about the future for months, and this gave me some hope. With this positive response I let my guard down and decided to stay and have a talk with him. We sat in the bar and talked about literature, art and good wines until I suddenly realised that it had become very late and I had become quite drunk.

In the lift we realised that our rooms were on the same floor, and it turned out that we had rooms opposite each other. He, of course, had a much bigger and nicer room than me. He had a suite with a nice view over Reykjavik.


“Do you also have this beautiful view over Reykjavik? It’s really beautiful” he said with a smile.

“No, I don’t. My window actually faces a brick wall” I replied with a sad face.

“Then you have to come in for a quick look before you go to bed. That’s an order!”

I found myself unable to resist and entered his suite. Both the suite and the view over the city were breathtaking. As I looked at millions of twinkling stars I again could smell his seductive fragrance as he approached me from behind. I could feel his breath on my neck.

“Do you like it?” he whispered in my ear.

“Yes...” I sighed and kept looking at the stars. I shivered and didn’t dare to move as he softly started to massage my neck. He started kissing my neck and my body responded. He turned me around and pressed his lips against mine. He kissed me quite roughly but still not unpleasantly. All of a sudden he stopped, saying "I want you here right now" and he pushed me on his enormous bed turning words into action.

Knock, knock!

I suddenly woke up at the sound at the door. It took me a few seconds to realise where I was and to notice that I was alone. My boss had already left and taken all his things with him flying straight to the next mission. I was by myself in his big suite, the cleaning lady knocking at the door and I had no clothes on. I rushed up and stopped her from entering the room. After a while I sneaked back to my own room, packed my things and left the hotel feeling embarrassed and humiliated. How stupid of me. Getting drunk and believing everything he was telling me and ending up in bed with the Head of Unit. Arriving in Brussels I got the news of the volcano eruption. I was lucky to get off the island before the airport was closed.

The next day at the office the secretary asked how the mission was.

"I hope he didn’t hit on you like he always does with our stagiaires. He must stop that, being a husband and father of seven children.”

I choked.

“Of course not!” I said a little too quickly before silently going to my office.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment